Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sonnet of Remembrance I − The Voice of Truth



"How old are you?" she asked, the little girl
Who was the daughter of my mother's friend,
A puny thing of three, eyes black as merle,
Two stops opaque the outcome could portend.
"Four", in reply I said, and feeling proud
Anew of new acquired agewhat make!
Which to complete my telling head I bowed
To point the four-shaped candle on the cake.
Yet then she countered with a strident "Three!":
She would not be out-aged; and I said "Four."
"Three!", she insisted. "Four!" was my decree,
So forceful timid tears began to pour.
   And though she was but three I knew no ruth,
   For I had spoken with the voice of truth.

-------

This is the first of a series of sonnets on memories from my childhood that I intend to write.

No comments: